Influencer marketing isn’t dying in 2024. In fact, the influencer market size has nearly doubled over the last four years.
Yet traditional influencer marketing is dying. Why?
Social media platforms are saturated with influencers. Additionally, the constant evolution of content and algorithms means influencers need to adapt constantly.
Another hurdle is building and maintaining audience trust as consumers become more skeptical towards sponsored content. This can hinder influencers’ ability to deliver branded messages.
These challenges mean it’s time to take an innovative approach to influencer marketing.
That’s why it’s important to stay updated on the latest influencer marketing trends. It’s one of the best ways to overcome these challenges when working with influencers.
In this article, you’ll find 9 influencer marketing trends for 2024. You can use them to ensure that your influencer marketing campaigns align with current audience expectations.
Plus, following current influencer marketing trends will allow you to identify potential pitfalls and opportunities that can help you make informed decisions and maintain a competitive edge.
Not sure how to find influencers in your niche?
Let us help! Book a free consultation with one of our marketing and PR experts. We’ll help you identify and pitch collaborations with the most relevant influencers in your industry.
Our 9 Influencer Marketing Trends 2024
- Demand for Authenticity
- Influencer Podcasts
- User-Generated Content
- Sponsored Content and Ads
- Increase in Video Content
- Live Shopping
- Emphasis on Diversity
- Specialized Niches
- Platform Diversification
1. Demand for Authenticity
One of the biggest influencer marketing trends is authenticity. Research shows that nearly 90% of consumers today don’t trust influencers. To build trust with consumers, many marketers are now employing nano and micro influencer strategies.
Why? By targeting smaller niche audiences, your brand will look more authentic. You’re not just one of many brands that use faulty influencer marketing trends and strategies.
Want to make authenticity part of your influencer marketing strategy?
Be honest and transparent about your brand’s values. Find niches that align with those values. And only create collaborative messaging that best aligns with your values.
Here’s why authentic partnerships are one of the new influencer marketing trends:
- Expanded Reach: Authentic influencer marketing helps you tap into new audiences that are open to your product or service. It can also help you expand your reach and grow your online presence.
- Diversification of Content: Authenticity brings fresh perspectives and content ideas that keep your audience engaged.
- Networking Opportunities: Authenticity allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and brands. These networking opportunities can lead to new partnerships.
2. Influencer Podcasts
Podcasts offer unique advantages that can complement your online presence, which is why many marketers are jumping on the podcast bandwagon and making it one of their own influencer marketing trends.
Why is it so popular?
Many people listen to and enjoy podcasts because they provide a convenient and engaging way to consume information. Plus, consumers can find podcasts on a variety of topics.
When it comes to podcasting, you have two choices.
You could start your own podcast.
But for most marketers, that’s not the best use of their time or budget. Instead, you’ll want to find influencers who already have a podcast and online presence.
Again, start by identifying small, niche influencers with authentic messaging that aligns with your brand. Come up with an idea of what you want to talk about. Is it authentic and value-added? If yes, you’re ready to pitch your idea to podcast influencers and join the conversation.
Here’s what makes it one of the top influencer marketing trends:
- Diversification of Content: Podcasts influencers give you access to additional content creation formats. Diversifying content across different mediums helps keep your audience engaged.
- Audience Reach: Some people prefer listening to content while multitasking, commuting, or exercising. This makes podcasts accessible to a broader audience.
- Deeper Connection: Podcasts allow you to establish a deeper and more personal connection with your audience. Your voice and tone create a sense of intimacy and authenticity. This can strengthen your relationship with listeners.
- Expertise Showcase: Podcasts are an excellent platform to showcase your expertise on specific topics.
- Long-form Content: Podcasts often provide a platform for long-form discussions. You can dive deeper into subjects that might not be suitable for shorter content formats.
Not sure how to write a pitch for a podcast? We’ve got you covered! Check out our article: How to Pitch a Podcast in 2023 [+ Real Examples]
3. User-Generated Content
User-generated content (UGC) is content created by followers or fans rather than influencers themselves. It’s typically shared in response to your content, challenges, or prompts. UGC can take various forms. That includes text comments, photos, videos, reviews, and more.
As you plan a campaign with an influencer, see if UGC is something they would be interested in encouraging. You can support by providing awards for contests, creating hashtags, or asking for tags in branded posts so you can reshare testimonials and user experiences.
Here’s why UGC works and is considered one of the top 2024 influencer marketing trends:
- Engagement and Interaction: If your influencer has a substantial following, they can engage with their audience by posting content, sharing their experiences, and fostering a sense of community.
- Prompting Participation: You can ask influencers to encourage their followers to participate in challenges, contests, or discussions. These prompts can take the form of hashtags, questions, or creative challenges.
- Sharing and Tagging: Followers often share their UGC on the same platform. They may use specific hashtags to ensure the influencer and the wider community can see their content. This helps to build a sense of belonging and participation within a fan base.
- Recognition and Reposting: You can recognize and reward influencer followers by featuring their UGC as part of your collaboration. This recognition can be a powerful motivator for their followers. It can also significantly boost engagement.
Want to be in the know about more content marketing trends for 2024? Check it out: 7 Top Content Marketing Trends 2023 [+ Tips and Tricks]
4. Sponsored Content and Ads
Sponsored content and ads are an integral part of the revenue model for influencers. That’s why paid content continues to be one of the top influencer marketing trends in 2024.
Creating sponsored content and ads involves partnering with other brands to create promotional content for relevant products or services for both brands.
To create effective paid content, start by understanding your target audience and their needs. Find relevant influencers with similar audiences who accept paid content on their channels or websites. Then, craft compelling and visually appealing messages that resonate with them.
Here’s are a few other reasons why paid content is among the top influencer marketing trends:
- Monetization Opportunities: Influencers can generate significant income through sponsored content and ads, making it easy for you to pay influencers to promote your products or services.
- Effective Marketing Channel: Sponsored content and ads can leverage your credibility. Followers often view influencers as trustworthy sources. This can make your target audience more receptive to your products or services.
- Audience Segmentation: Influencers often have well-defined niches and demographics within their follower base. You can partner with influencers whose audiences align with your target market. This enables precise audience segmentation. Plus, it allows you to reach potential customers who are genuinely interested in your promoted products.
- Authenticity: Successful influencers prioritize authenticity in their content. They often integrate it into their usual content style. Authenticity can make your promotion feel natural and genuine.
- Diverse Content Formats: Sponsored content and ads can take various forms. That includes Instagram posts, YouTube videos, blogs, TikTok clips, and more. This diversity allows you to choose the platform and format that aligns best with your marketing objectives. It also keeps influencer marketing fresh and adaptable to changing consumer preferences.
5. Increase in Video Content
Video content isn’t just one of the top influencer marketing trends, it’s one of the top digital marketing trends period. That’s because it has become one of the most dominant and effective forms of online content.
If you’re only going to choose one trend to follow, this should be it. Video content remains one of the best formats for influencer marketing. Today, more people prefer video on social media. It captures attention, conveys information effectively, and inspires action in an engaging way.
To create effective video content for influencer marketing, focus on engaging storytelling that aligns with your brand. It must also resonate with your target audience. Leverage your unique style and personality to create authentic and compelling videos. Best of all, you only need a mobile phone camera to get started.
Here’s why video content is one of the best influencer marketing trends you can employ:
- Engagement: Video content is more engaging than text or static images. Viewers are drawn to motion, sound, and visuals. This makes them more likely to spend time watching a video compared to reading a blog post.
- Storytelling: Video allows you to tell a more compelling story. They allow you to use visuals, voice, and emotion to convey your messages effectively. This can be impactful when sharing personal experiences, tutorials, or reviews.
- Authenticity: Video content often feels more authentic. It allows you to showcase your personality, expressions, and body language. Viewers can connect with you on a more personal level. This builds trust and a sense of familiarity.
- Demonstration and Tutorial: Video is an ideal format for demonstrating how products work. You can also show step-by-step tutorials and share practical tips. Viewers can see how to use products or follow specific instructions.
- Visual Appeal: Visual aesthetics play a significant role in many niches. This is common in fashion, travel, and food. Visually appealing content can include stylish outfits, stunning landscapes, or delicious recipes.
Want to see a list of the top video marketing trends for 2024? We’ve got you covered: Top 10 Video Marketing Trends for 2023 [+ Tips]
6. Live Shopping
Live shopping merges the benefits of live streaming with e-commerce. This is a real-time interactive shopping experience where followers can watch and shop live.
How is it one of the top influencer marketing trends?
Influencers can live stream a demonstration of your product or service for you.
So, how do you do it?
Think about the product or service you want to demonstrate in real-time. Ask yourself:
- Is there enough buzz around my product or service that an influencer would stream it?
- Is my product or service interesting enough for a live demo?
- Is my product or service ready for a live review?
- Which product or service would look or perform the best?
- Are there any influencers who already live stream products or services like mine?
When you’ve selected your product and influencers for your collaboration, it’s time to do PR.
You’ll want to create a sense of urgency and FOMO around the event by offering exclusive discounts and limited-time promotions during the live shopping experience. Ask your influencers to encourage viewers to make a purchase right then and there.
This is one of the influencer marketing trends gaining momentum for several reasons:
- Real-time Interaction: Live shopping means the influencer you’re working with can interact with the audience in real time. Viewers can ask them questions, seek advice, and get immediate responses. If your product does well, then it’s instant, authentic word-of-mouth marketing.
- Demonstration: Influencers will demonstrate to potential customers how your product works, how to use it, and their personal experience with it. This hands-on approach provides valuable insights for viewers. It makes them more likely to make informed purchasing decisions.
- Limited-time Offers: Live shopping events often feature limited-time offers, discounts, or exclusive deals. This sense of urgency can encourage viewers to make immediate purchases. This method can drive sales for your brand.
- Engagement and FOMO: Live shopping generates a sense of excitement and FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) among viewers. They want to be part of the live experience. They want to participate in giveaways. This gives them the chance to purchase products before they sell out.
- Instant Gratification: Live shopping provides instant gratification. Viewers can see a product they like. They can get all the information they need and purchase products without leaving the live stream. This convenience can lead to impulse buying.
Want to know how to use PR as a marketing tool in 2024? Check out our list of the top PR trends: 18 Top PR Trends Shaping the Industry in 2023
7. Emphasis on Diversity
Diversity and inclusion are critically important for influencer marketing. They reflect the evolving landscape of media and the social responsibility that comes with having a platform.
To include diversity in your influencer marketing strategy, cater your message to people from different backgrounds. You can also work with influencers that promote diversity.
Here’s why diversity and inclusion matters and is one of the top influencer marketing trends for 2024:
- Representation: Influencers have the power to shape audience perceptions and attitudes. You can help ensure that underrepresented groups are visible and positively portrayed in the media by tailoring your content to different audiences. This representation is crucial for breaking stereotypes and fostering acceptance.
- Reach and Impact: When you promote diversity and inclusion, you impact the perspectives and behaviors of the influencer’s followers. This can help promote tolerance, empathy, and understanding.
- Influence on Trends: As a marketer, you can use influencer strategies to set trends and influence popular culture. You have the power to contribute to a more inclusive and equitable cultural landscape.
- Building Inclusive Communities: You can create and nurture inclusive online communities. These communities can serve as safe spaces for individuals who may face discrimination in other contexts.
- Inspiration: Your content can inspire others from underrepresented backgrounds to pursue their goals and passions.
8. Specialized Niches
Working within specialized niches and with your own expertise enhances your credibility and effectiveness. When you specialize in a certain niche, you can appeal to audiences who are interested in what you have to say.
So, instead of working with big influencers for the sake of their name or number of followers, consider influencers with smaller, more niche audiences. Use your expertise to pitch interesting content and collaboration opportunities that may be missing from the conversation.
Here’s what makes it one of the top influencer marketing trends:
- Audience Trust and Relatability: Marketers who use specialized influencer marketing strategies are often seen as more trustworthy and relatable. Viewers believe that brands with expertise in a specific niche are knowledgeable. This can make influencer recommendations and insights of your brand or product more valuable.
- Targeted Audience: Working within a specialized niche allows you to attract a targeted audience. Niche influencers have followers who are interested in you. That makes them more likely to engage with content and take action.
- Reduced Competition: Specialized niches often have less competition compared to broader ones. This can make it easier for you to stand out and establish yourself as an authority in your niche.
- Passion and Authenticity: When you have passion about your niche and find influencers matching that passion, your collaboration will come across as authentic.
- Unique Perspective: You can offer a unique perspective or angle on your niche. Adding a unique perspective to your content can make it more interesting and appealing.
One way to specialize in your niche is to become a thought leader. Find out how: Thought Leadership Strategy: 14 Steps to Balancing Authority with Authenticity [+ Examples]
9. Platform Diversification
Gone are the days of producing content for one platform. That’s why platform diversification is one of the top influencer marketing trends for 2024.
Devise a strategy that targets influencers across multiple platforms. This will expand your reach and maximize your impact. Remember, each platform offers a unique experience and allows you to cater to different user preferences and behaviors.
Here are some of the best social media platforms to apply current influencer marketing trends:
- Instagram: Instagram has a visually appealing format and a large user base. This makes it a top choice for influencer marketing. Its features include Stories, IGTV, and Reels. These features allow influencers to showcase your content in creative ways.
- YouTube: YouTube is ideal for marketers who want to create longer-form content. It allows for monetization through ads and building a loyal subscriber base. YouTube also allows influencers to post short videos and social posts.
- TikTok: This rapidly growing platform is popular among younger audiences and influencers. TikTok’s short-form videos and viral nature make it a great choice for marketers looking to engage through entertaining content.
- Facebook: With its massive user base, Facebook is the most visited social media platform on the Internet. Influencers with pages, groups, or live streaming options are great at engaging with followers and sharing content. Plus, influencers can integrate Facebook with Instagram.
- X: X (formerly known as Twitter) is great for marketers who excel in short, snappy content. It’s great for engaging in conversations with audiences. Plus, it’s effective for sharing thoughts, news, and updates.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is a visual discovery platform. It’s ideal for influencer marketing in lifestyle, fashion, and home improvement niches. It allows influencers to share content in the form of pins. This can drive traffic and inspiration to your website or blog.
Want to know how to blend PR and social media to amplify your influencer marketing efforts? Read our guide: Social Media PR – 6 Easy Ways to Connect with Your Target Audience
Key Takeaways on Influencer Marketing Trends
Staying updated on new influencer marketing trends is a great way to leverage innovative strategies. Plus, you can learn new techniques to maximize your impact. Whether it’s adopting new platforms or exploring creative ideas, being in the know keeps you ahead of the curve.
The thing to keep in mind is to continue to explore creative ways to produce engaging content. Video content is increasingly becoming popular for influencer marketing. We see this trend on YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram. Short-form video content, in particular, is gaining traction due to its ability to capture attention quickly.
And remember, influencer marketing trends show that the strategy is veering away from how it used to be. Now, influencers and marketers are looking to build long-term partnerships. This trend is driven by the desire to create more authentic relationships between influencers and their audiences. Long-term partnerships allow influencers to become true brand advocates. With that in mind you should be good to go with influencer marketing in 2024.
Still not sure how to incorporate influencer marketing trends into your mix? Let us help! Simply book a free consultation and we will help you spruce up your marketing and PR strategies.